Monday, January 11, 2010

What a difference a year makes!

Today classes started where I work. This semester I am teaching two classes, whereas some semesters I teach only one.

Last year, I remember coming home on the first day of classes around 6, absolutely exhausted. I curled up on the couch -- undoubtedly with some form of junk food -- and watched some Oprah I had DVRed. It was about New Years resolutions and health. She had Bob Greene on the show and I remember her asking the audience "Are you living your best life?" and I just immediately burst into tears. I had no idea how much I weighed -- probably somewhere near 300 -- and I had done basically nothing (I do not have a physically demanding job, although it can be quite mentally taxing), yet I was absoutely exhausted by 6 PM. My life was a mess, and I had no energy. I felt terrible about myself. In NO sense of the word was I living my best life.

Fast forward a year. Today I went to a spin class at 6:30 AM. I was at work by about 8:15, I worked all day, and left around 4:15 to go to a 4:30 class at the gym. I worked out until around 6:15, I came home and made dinner, and then I worked from about 7 until 9:15. I'm now going to pack my lunch (I never used to make lunches by the way -- I always ate out), get my gym and work clothes together for the morning, and head to bed by 10. I am not really tired, but I know that if I don't go to bed early it won't be easy for me to get up in the morning. I did so much more today than I did on the first day of classes last year, and I have energy leftover. It is such a wonderful feeling. It makes me feel like I have my life back. It makes me feel like I am 30 (like I am) rather than 80. It makes me feel alive. And I LOVE IT!!! This is so much better than the feeling I get eating junk food.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Clicky Web Analytics