Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Back update...again

Things here? They continue to move on. I have had a pretty frustrating week. I have had a relapse (x2) with my back. The chiropractor thinks I have lumbar subluxation (facets syndrome), and in googling around the diagnosis seems consistent with my symptoms. The bad news is, he wants me to come in 3x/week for 4-8 weeks. (mind you, this is after going to him for almost a month already) That seems crazy to me! However, the problem seems to be getting increasingly worse as time goes by so it seems that sticking to the status quo is not going to work.

I was/am unwilling to commit to a long course of treatment like that without a second opinion. Today I went to another chiropractor/wellness person and I feel like those guys were essentially useless. They asked me about the first chiropractor, I told them who it was and they said "Yep, he's a really great guy. We've got nothing but good things to say about him." Honestly, I had really mixed feelings about that. On the one hand, I was delighted they had good things to say about him. I mean, I want to go to go to a good chiropractor if I have to go to one at all. However, the BAD thing is that they basically told me to listen to what he had to say, follow his treatment protocol, etc. without confirming or denying his diagnosis. THE REASON I WAS THERE WAS TO GET A SECOND OPINION, NOT A ROUSING ENDORSEMENT OF MY CHIROPRACTOR! I felt like these chiropractors are all members of a secret chiropractic good ol' boys network who were there just to endorse each other (though in fairness, the second chiropractor was female...not quite good ol' boys, but same feel). I feel like I'm getting suckered here.

I don't know what to do. I am hesitant to commit to so much treatment. That is a huge (and inconvenient) time sink, and it is a lot of $$$ also. However, I haven't been able to exercise in a week now and so my back problems are most definitely affecting my life (and weight loss/maintenance) plan so the status quo is not going to work out in the long run. I have had three distinct episodes since the beginning of October. Does anyone have any experience with this? I welcome all advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Clicky Web Analytics