Friday, September 18, 2009

This week

This week has been insanely busy. In fact, I have had this blogger window open, ready to type this post now for two days. C-R-A-Z-Y busy. This weekend and the first part of next week, I will be out of town so I am finally packed and ready to go. It will be nice to get away from this madness for a bit but -- honestly -- I don't know if it's worse to come back to more work that has managed to pile up while you are away. The point of this blog is not work, though, it is about food.

However, for me at least, it's tough to not recognize and deal with the impact that work has on food and vice versa. More generally, the general busy-ness of life has a large impact on what I eat and when/how/how much I work out.

This week I report that my success is mixed. I am not doing WW this week. Generally, I am eating good/healthy things. I can't imgaine my life without fruits and vegetables, though I do eat out a fair amount. This week, even though I was crazy busy, I would say I ate out less than usual. I need to focus on giving my body healthy, nutrient-rich foods even when I am superbusy. That is not to say that I did very well with food, though. I ate a lot. I did have some unhealthy things (don't remember what they are and I didn't track with WW this week), but overall my biggest problem is probably that I eat too much when left to my own devices. Red pepper hummus is good; 1/4 a Sam's sized container of red pepper hummus is too much. Mozzerella cheese is not bad; having 4 oz at once probably isn't the best. You get the picture.

The good news is that I exercised a lot this week. Probably not anymore than usual, but I feel like I am starting to achieve a healthy equilibrium with exercise. I really can't imagine not doing it now. It is just totally part of my routine.

My weekly exercise routine does vary a little from week to week, but roughly here are the highlights. I have spin class Monday mornings at 6:30 AM. Wednesday and Friday mornings I work out for an hour with my trainer at 7 AM. Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday evenings I usually attend both an aqua abs and aqua aerobics class. Monday and Wednesdays I usually do an hour on the elliptical, and sometimes I do aqua abs on those days as well. It really just depends. Saturdays are usually more variable, but usually I either take a longer walk on the trail system in town or go work out on the elliptical machine and watch some mindless TV. I don't usually do much if anything on Sunday. I am sure my body needs and appreciates the break.

I am actually pretty proud of the fact that I am keeping on top of the exercise despite the crazy pace that life is moving at lately. I think I can attribute my success there to two things. First, I am in the habit of it. It feels weird not to work out during the day. Second and probably more importantly, I really do enjoy working out. I guess there is something to the concept of endorphins. I must say it is working for me!

My weight has been doing really crazy things this week. I am up quite a bit. The rough rule of thumb is that to gain (or lose) a pound, you need to eat (or have a calorie deficit) or 3500 calories. This week I have gained 6 lbs. There is no way I ate that much! I think this is because I am having an allergic reaction to something. Wednesday morning my lips totally looked like Angelina Jolie's. It was crazy (but mine looked weird, whereas I'd say hers look pretty good). At first I thought it was an allergic reaction to makeup but yesterday I discovered a rash on the roof of my mouth too. Must be something I ate. The only thing I can think of that I ate that was really new to me was mangos. However, I really hope I am not allergic to these -- they are too delicious and healthy for me to want to stop eating them! I think I am holding onto extra water as a part of this reaction, which is causing the scale to be so rude to me this week.

Well, I am off to DC for 4 days. It is hard to eat healthily while out of town. I will give myself some leeway on what I eat, but will be careful to have enough fruits, veggies, and fiber while I am gone. I also want to work out at least twice while I am at the hotel. The other days, I will be playing tourist and will just work to get lots of walking in.

That's my update for the week. I'm not writing as much in this blog as I had anticipated or hope, but I will not give up on it. I really need this space to document and work out what I'm thinking and feeling about food -- thus the title of the blog. This is cheap therapy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Clicky Web Analytics