Thursday, September 10, 2009

AWFUL food day!

Man I really thought about punting on a post today. Truth is, I am kind of ashamed to write about the stuff I ate -- but that is exactly why I need to write. As the title of the blog implies, it is therapeutic for me to get this stuff out of me and onto [virtual] paper and so I need to do that with both the good and the bad. Also, if one of the goals of this blog is to keep me accountable but I don't write the bad stuff, well...Sarah FAIL. So, here it goes...

Today for breakfast I had the leftover fried shrimp I blogged about earlier in the week for breakfast. Real healthfood and a great way to get that body going in the morning, right? Wow, not so much. Then I went with a coworker to lunch. We went to a place that is primarily a burger place, so I decided to get a burger. Now, they had salads on the menu. I actually really considered getting a cobb salad without the bacon and with the dressing on the side. That would have been a fine option; however, I decided to get a side of onion rings with my burger. OMG! Wow, complete derailment. They were good, but not good enough to justify going off the wagon for in retrospect. They were deepfried (obviously) and sprinkled with salt. Who sprinkles those things with salt, and what person with high blood pressure should be eating salt-sprinkled fried food? I mean, really...

I have been sick this week, and today I was feeling not stellar at all. I really just wanted to sleep basically all day. However, after all of this crappy eating, I had to go to the gym; I really just didn't think I could justify skipping it at all. I only did 30 minutes on the elliptical, because after that I just thought I would not be able to make it. I just felt too bad. It burned 400 calories, so it was probably worth it. It was also worth it to quit after just 30 minutes. In general I work out plenty so I don't need to be there 2 hrs everyday (though that is not uncommon for me when I am feeling healthy).

By the night time, my stomach ached! (I have been dealing with a cold; nothing stomach related) It is amazing to me that the kind of food I used to love (and still kind of do love) and eat almost exclusively now makes me sick if I overdo it. Also I just felt disgusting by evening and as though my body were screaming: "VEGGIES!!! FIBER!!! FRUIT AND WATER PLEASE!!!" I listened for dinner, ate healthily, and then fell asleep immediately. I slept from 7-1 and now had to write this post before I forgot everything. It is a good reminder of how I am sure I used to feel -- just gross and lethargic. I just can't eat that kind of food and expect it to effectively fuel my body.

I haven't been doing WW this week. Part of it is because I don't think that I am eating enough on the plan right now. I typically track everything when on WW, I definitely eat all my points each day, and usually I shoot to have a balance of 35 points left each week. The way I think of it is that I eat all my exercise points but leave the extra 35 on the table. However, at least last week, this helped me to lose weight at an unhealthy rate so I decided to go it alone for a week. The idea is that I should listen to my body when it is hungry and when it is full. The idea was not to eat fried and unhealthy foods, as I did today. I either need to get on WW so I can understand how many fried foods are ok (recognizing, of course, that you have to eat good foods too), or I need to eat healthier foods only. One more thing to work on.

This week I found a blog by a guy who lost 200 lbs completely healthily (although some might say too fast), and I have been reading through the archives. Completely inspirational, though I am not sure what I think about the "no cheating, ever" aspect of his approach to food. I am delighted it is working for him, but I am not sure I could do it or that I think it is the right thing for me, for now. I can see where he is coming from though -- approaching food like an addict. Just as alcoholics don't drink at all when they become sober, he is not eating unhealthy food at all. I'm not there, and I don't know if I will ever be. I will write more about food addiction another time, but for now I am going to try not to mess up my body clock anymore and get back to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Clicky Web Analytics