Saturday, May 29, 2010

Biking Update

I have mentioned that one of my goals for the summer is to ride my bike 1000 miles.

I'm pleased to report that I'm 25% of the way there. I'm not sure if that is where I need to be or not, because it is poised to get hot and humid here very very soon in Arkansas. In fact, this past week was very tough to ride in because of the high humidity levels (one morning it literally said 100% humidity on weather.com -- I questioned how this was possible without it raining?!). I was sweating buckets by the time I arrived at work each morning.

It's also probably worth mentioning that I went two days in a row last week without a car, which is unusual for me. To give you an idea what this means, I live 5.5 miles from work. I went to the gym, movies, the bike shop, and a restaurant on my bike. I am really getting into this biking lifestyle, and I love it. I would love to get to the place where I can take on hills effortlessly (I usually walk the bike up two big hills I face on my commute), and where I am car free most days and only use it for long trips, grocery shopping, etc.

I have not formally mentioned it, but I am going to be very flexible with my definition of summer. I started the clock when I got my odometer installed (sometime in April), and I'll probably keep the challenge open until it either gets really cold, or until I make it to my goal. I do not want to fail on this one.

3 comments:

  1. Good for you for taking on a car-free lifestyle! I need to get to that point (or at least closer) during the nice weather months. I miss my bike.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is exactly what I'm talking about! You are my inspiration and reason why I rode my bike to work and why I pushed through the hills (not as terrible as what you're talking about I beleive). I absolutely pulled the "I think I can I think I can I think I can" up the hill!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure you'll knock out that goal well before the end of the summer if you keep at it this way. Great job! I wish I could ride to work but at least I'm takin the train.

    ReplyDelete

 
Clicky Web Analytics