Sunday, December 19, 2010

Physical Therapy...blah

I am back in physical therapy. My SI issues have re-emerged and it makes standing and sitting (mostly sitting) uncomfortable. The good news is that I don't have shooting pain that causes problems sleeping like I did last time I struggled with this. The bad news is that it is still uncomfortable and does impede my ability to exercise somewhat.

I have insurance that covers most (80%) of the therapy. I like the physical therapists I go to, and am confident they will be able to "fix" me. I am grateful to be able to live in a place with advanced medical care, and to have a job that is not physical so that I can rehab this better and lie on the floor to work when I need to.

The other day I was walking through Walmart and there was a girl who was between the size I am now and the size I was when I started -- probably about the size I was the first time I had these back/SI issues a bit more than a year ago. She was bent over and stocking shelves. I know nothing about this girl, but if I had to guess her healthcare is either crappy or nonexistent, and she's probably not getting paid that much. I thought to myself, "What if that were me and I could not only not afford to go to PT, but I probably also could not afford to take time off work to get better? What if I worked a job that made my condition worse?" It was a reminder to be grateful for what I have, even when my back hurts and it feels like life is a challenge. Things can always be worse, and there is a lot to be grateful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Clicky Web Analytics