Wednesday, June 15, 2011

"Oooh, I like that too!"

Last night, our community group re-instituted the ice breaker. I don't know why, but I love those things. Quick, surface level questions that actually lead you to discover something interesting about someone you might not have known already.

The question last night was "What's your favorite candy bar?"

My answer was either a Ritter Sport with a Butter Biscuit or a Pay Day. It's probably been a month or two since I've had a Ritter Sport and it's been probably over a year since I've had a Pay Day. I really don't indulge very often on candy or chocolate, as I prefer to indulge on cheese (like those of you who have read this blog before didn't know that...).

It was funny, though, as people went around describing their favorite bars, I was like "Oh, I like that too!" Snickers. Reeses, both the cups and the pieces. Zero. Caramello. Sour Patch Kids. Peanut M&Ms. All kinds of good stuff. And, except for the Hot Tamales, I would say I loved everyone's candy choices. (I'm also not crazy about anything black licorice related -- but almost anything else is good. I also would say I like Butterfinger but I think it is nasty how it gets stuck in your teeth.)

Someone was like "Oh, you really like a lot of candy!" It's funny. Although I like a lot of candy (guilty as charged), I don't eat it much anymore. I guess it was just interesting to me that "normal" people don't like candy as much as I do (or at least they don't vocalize it, and some even comment on my like of it although not in a critical or judgmental way).

It is true. I love candy and, more generally, I LOVE food. But that doesn't mean I have to eat it all the time, or eat it in jumbo sized bags to enjoy it. These are lessons that I'm learning and, shockingly, even starting to believe at a deeper heart level.

I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks. At least one who wants to learn them, like me.

1 comment:

  1. thats kinda how I felt at several potlucks lately... had to stop myself with liking just what fit the first time round :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Clicky Web Analytics