Thursday, October 8, 2009

Victory and Defeat

First of all, my new fancy scale tells me I am continuing to gain muscle and lose fat, even though I have not exercised since Saturday (more on that in a second). Also I got 2 pairs of new pants, both at a size 20. They fit nicely, loose through the waist (but not too loose), and it's great -- especially considering I started this off at size 26, three sizes bigger. I look really skinny in them actually. So those are the victories I'm dealing with around here. Nice to experience victories, that's for sure.

These haven't been without defeat. The root of all of this is that I really messed up my back somehow. I'm not sure how -- I can't point to a moment where I was like "I bent down to pick something up and then I heard this awful crack and fell to the ground in pain." Over the course of Monday it started to hurt more and more and then by Tuesday I could barely sit up. They were so bad I almost cancelled my class, but in the end I toughed it out and made it through class. If I had to guess, my injury is the result of not stretching after surfing. My hamstrings got really tight and maybe they eventually caused lower back spasms.

I noticed yesterday morning while getting ready that I was tilted about 10 degrees to the left -- my right shoulder was 1-2" higher than my left shoulder. It was the weirdest thing. I ended up going to the chiropractor twice yesterday to have this looked at and cracked into place. She helped me quite a bit but I am still not fixed (slight tilt remains) or out of pain, although I am in much less pain than before (and less crooked as well).

Suffice it to say, I've been laying down on my back or side a lot this week. I've been taking muscle relaxers when the pain is really bad and at one point even considered taking some Vicodin. This is significant because I have had this prescription for over 2 years and have never taken it even when in intense pain because I am afraid I will like it a little too much. This time I hurt so bad I didn't even care. I toughed it out, though, so no Vicodin for me.

I haven't been eating that stellar-ly. I ordered pizza and had that, for example. I just don't have many good groceries around (I've been out of town so much!), and I hurt too much to do a major shopping trip and to cook. I also haven't been exercising. I miss it. I just wish I felt better. I hope to be back to at least 95% by the time I leave for my next trip Saturday morning at 6 AM. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Clicky Web Analytics